Episcopal Diocese of Virginia
The Episcopal Church »  |  The Diocese of Virginia

St. James' Episcopal


MAILING ADDRESS:P.O. Box 1216
PHYSICAL ADDRESS: 102 Ellisville Dr
CITY, ST, ZIP: Louisa, VA 23093
PHONE: 540/967-1665
FAX: 540/967-2953
E-MAIL: Office

CLERGY: Alex Riffee
TITLE:  Rector
E-MAIL: NA

WEB URL: St. James' Church

ECW: St. James ECW

HISTORY

Trinity Parish, in which Saint James is located, was established in 1762, but it was not until 1852 that Episcopal worship services were first conducted in Louisa. They were held one Sunday each month in the then new Methodist Church. In 1869, the congregcongregation was formally organized and the first Vestrymen elected. The following year, the congregation decided to build a church, but it was not until 1881 that sufficient money was raised and the present church built. We consider this year our birthday.

We shared pastors with other churches over the years until 1985, when the Reverend John von Hemert accepted the call as our first full time Vicar. In 1989, having been financially independent for a number of years, we petitioned the Diocese of Virginia to relinquish our Mission status and in 1991, after 110 years as a Mission, we became a full-fledged Parish.

COMMUNITY PROFILE: